BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 7, 2011

Making the bed

Like Sarah, I feel like I have to have something intelligent, or witty to say. I feel neither of those today, but I wrote this in a supreme act of homework avoidance.

This week I have worked almost half again as much as I worked last semester. I won't complain, I LOVE my job! My boss is quite possibly the sweetest lady ever. 

Yesterday I showed up to work and she said "I believe you might feel like you're back at the inn today." She was right. I didn't clean, but I stripped and made up 3 beds in very short order.

I enjoy making beds. It's clean work, it allows me to stretch and use muscles usually left unused, and even though you start with an unruly pile of sheets, blankets and pillows in the end you have a beautiful bed (or at least the way I make them is beautiful).

Every time I finish a bed I have the same thought. I am transported back to Ms Reichl's senior AP English class. I loved that class, I loved reading and analyzing and writing about it. I loved looking for interesting parallels and, she was a phenomenal teacher. 

One unit we covered was poetry, and as a part of that we had a segment on poetry performance. They apparently make poetry videos; like music videos, but with poetry rather than music. It was... interesting. There was one though that has stuck with me in the time since then. 

There was a woman who was a maid or a housekeeper or something like that; she was wearing the black uniform with the white apron. She performed the poem while she was making a bed, it was something about how boss lady say do this, boss lady say that. But her closing line is the one that has stuck with me. She said "Mama said if you make your bed, you have to lie in it. Lucky for me, I make a [darn] fine bed." 


And so, after making beds at the inn all summer, and having occasional days of bed making at my current job, in addition to my own bed, I'm glad to echo her words. 

"Lucky for me, I make a darn fine bed."

1 comment:

  1. Way to write something witty and intelligent! Now I have to try to think up something...maybe a sonnet about my love for mechanical pencils?

    ReplyDelete